Important! New Registration Rules for Foreigners During the Football Championships in Russia
The Russian President has issued a decree tightening security measures in Russia for the duration of the FIFA 2017 Confederations Cup and FIFA 2018 World Cup. This decree requires all foreign citizens arriving in Russia during the championships to register at the place of their stay within one day of their arrival. These new rules will be effective during the following periods:
From June 01, 2017 to July 12, 2017
From May 25, 2018 to July 25, 2018
Which foreigners should be registered?
Absolutely all foreign citizens should be registered even those who come to Russia for any purposes other than watching football matches, including highly qualified specialists and foreign citizens with patents for work.
The decree, however, does not apply to championship contenders and FIFA representatives, its affiliated and associated organizations and confederations.
What if foreign colleagues come and visit during that period? What should they do?
If they stay in a hotel, the hotel should register them, but if their host is an individual, or if they rent an apartment, some complications may arise because:
- Foreign nationals must be registered with migration registration authorities within 1 day of their arrival;
- Documents for registration with migration registration authorities must be submitted in person so registration cannot be done through the post office.
So hosts or foreign nationals themselves must submit notification to the migration registration authority at their place of stay (District department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs) within one day of their arrival in Russia.
Could some difficulties arise?
Theoretically yes, as it is not known how foreign citizens arriving on weekends will be registered. It is also unknown how the authorities will cope with such a large flow of notifications.
Any recommendations for foreign citizens traveling to Russia during these periods?
- It would be better to plan arrival in Russia on weekdays;
- It would be better to stay in hotels which, as a rule, handle registration for their guests (for example, not every landlord on Airbnb will be able to quickly register their foreign visitors);
- Foreign citizens not staying in a hotel should make sure that their host is able to submit a notice to migration registration authorities within 1 day of their arrival in Russia.
We will provide further information on this matter as soon as we are aware
| ||Source: Association of European Businesses|| |